Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Meatballs

This recipe is from my Recipes page, but I made it the other night so I thought I would share anyway.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground chicken
1 slice bread, about 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup milk
1 small onion, minced or grated
1 Tablespoon sour cream
1 egg
3/4 – 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup mayonnaise
¾ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese

I've only used this recipe as written by Olga's Flavor Factory, so I couldn't tell you if premade breadcrumbs would work just as well. Toast your slice of bread before shredding it to breadcrumbs. The original recipe calls for a food processor, but, I put mine in a bowl and used a large spoon and my hands to mash my slice. Note - The mixture for the meatballs is very, very, moist. No, you didn't do something wrong, it's just the ingredients. It's a bit sticky rolling them into bite sized portions, but well worth it.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix everything but the cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl. Once everything is combined, roll out bit sized meatballs onto a "buttered" pan or tin foil. 

Put your mayonnaise in a small ziplock bag and seal. Cut a tiny (and I mean tiny) hole in one corner of your bag. Top each meatball with a thin layer of the mayo. You could get artistic if you wanted to, but since the cheese will cover it and melt, it's not necessary. After that, top with cheese. 



Stick your meatballs in the oven and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. I usually do about 18. Just long enough that the cheese gets golden brown (like below) without melting off. Your meatballs will still be moist and the mayonnaise gives it a tangy taste (even when you use lowfat/nonfat).


You could serve with a salad or pasta. I've made it both ways... I've even put this on a grinder roll with some spaghetti sauce. The combinations are endless. 

*Chef's note - I'm finding the more I cook the better I'm getting at using the tools necessary. When you mince an onion, use a large knife. It sounds backwards but its much easier to cut smaller portions when your knife isn't sliding all over what you're attempting to slice. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment