Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crabby Crab Cakes

I really dig this recipe. I'm not a big seafood person, but this blog, and my love for cooking has forced me to branch out and try new things. A few notes, I love lime, so I put tons of extra lime juice in the crab cakes and sauce. The original recipe (found here) calls for "fresh shelled crab". Although I'm sure the quality of the finished product would be better with fresh crab, from one working mom to the world - yeah right. A word to the wise - chipotle chilis in adobo = super spicy. Recipe calls for 1 tsp and I put in half a chili. HOT! HOT! HOT! But that's how I like it. Adjust the heat to your taste.

Baked Lump Crab Cakes with Chipotle Lime Sauce 

Crab Cakes 
  • 9 ounces lump crab meat, picked free of shells
  • 1/2 cup (about 13) reduced fat Ritz crackers, crushed
  • 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
  • 2 finely chopped scallions
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (or parsley)
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooking spray
Zesty Chipotle Lime Sauce
In a large bowl, combine crushed crackers, eggs, scallions, pepper, mayo, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. 


Mix well.


Fold in crab meat, careful not to over mix so the crab remains in large chunks.


Gently shape into patties using a 1/2 cup measuring cup. *With canned crab there really aren't large chunks of meat. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1/2 hour before baking. I would suggest refrigerating the patties longer than 30 minutes to help keep their shape.


  
Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Bake about 8-10 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.

Red Pepper Chipotle Lime Sauce:

In a small blender (or magic bullet) puree mayonnaise, lime juice, roasted pepper and chipotle pepper.


Plate it and voila! Serve with a salad and crisp white wine. :)



2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try these at some point... when I'm less lazy. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! It's a lot easier than it looks. It's basically mix, put mix in a 1/2 cup mixing cup, put cup on pan, refrigerate, bake. :) Good luck!

      Delete