Monday, April 2, 2012

It's a "Thai"!

What do you get when you cross coconut, spicy pepper, egg noodles and basil? 

A tasty dish that is super easy to make and hot hot hot! (Thought I had some lame pun there, huh?)

I've had a craving for Chinese/Thai lately so I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a Thai inspired dish. My favorite Thai restaurant (Cafe Asiana), which I haven't been to in years, used to make 1 of my 2 favorite dishes, Thai Sticks. I haven't tried whipping up a batch of those yet, but thought I would expirement with Coconut Noodles. Below is what I came up with, give or take. Adjust the heat to your tastes.

Ingredients

1 14.5oz can coconut milk
8oz egg or rice noodles
3T Tomato Paste
1T of chili sauce
Chili Pepper
Hot Sauce (I use Franks, probably because their catch phrase is "I put that sh*t on everything!")
Ribboned basil
Toasted coconut
Thinly sliced scallions 

Toss the coconut milk, tomato paste, chili sauce and chili pepper into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until it thickens up.


It should look something like this.


While that's cooking toss the egg noodles in boiling water and cook to directions.


Toss your coconut into a toaster oven or the oven at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes. Be aware - coconut is VERY delicate and will go from slightly toasted to scorched in seconds. Don't take your eyes off of it. Ribbon some basil and slice some scallions.


Toss your sauce and noodles together. Put a serving in a bowl and top with your coconut, basil and scallions.


It's that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment