Thursday, May 9, 2013

Spicy Thai Coconut Soup

Oh my.

I love thai.

That rhymed. But don't worry, that's where it will end.

I know it's not fall or winter but I was craving soup. This is an adapted version to a recipe I'm trying to find the original source for. The original poster included a lot of ingredients that I wouldn't eat, so here's my twist.


Ingredients

Coconut oil*
1/2 yellow or red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lemongrass paste**
1 can coconut milk
1 32 oz can Pho broth***
1 healthy squirt of sriracha
1 lb chopped chicken
Handful or two of egg noodles
4 green onions, chopped
Handful of chopped, fresh spinach


Heat up a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and bell pepper, sauté until its super fragrant. Once you've done that add your garlic, lemongrass and ginger, sauté for a few more minutes.







When all of your vegetables are soft add the coconut milk, and broth. Heat this to a low boil and add your sriracha.


 At this point you'll want to toss in your chicken and your egg noodles. Let the soup simmer for 10-15 minutes to make sure your chicken is fully cooked but still juicy.


Once you're sure everything is cooked to your liking toss in your green onions and spinach. Let it simmer for a few and serve with a side of sriracha.


Seriously folks, its that easy.



Wine of choice - Sauvignon Blanc - fresh and light to go with the light and spicy soup.



Notes:

*Coconut oil is versatile - don't be alarmed that its a solid. Trust me when I say it liquefies when you heat it up. I recommend Trader Joe's version, I paid $5.99 for this bottle.


**Lemongrass paste can be found next to the fresh herbs in your produce section. It's usually in a
plastic tube.

***Pho broth is organic. Look for it in the organic or whole food section of your grocery store. I found mine at a regular Shaw's.

Next time I'd probably add some shredded zucchini and maybe some carrot matchsticks as well, just for an even bigger nutritional value. This was definitely a keeper and I will be making this over, and over, and over, and over again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment