Saturday, November 9, 2013

Beef and Sweet Potato Turnovers

Show of hands... who like sweet potato? (If you're not raising your hand, we're not friends anymore.)

Still with me?

Good.

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! I wanted to make out with my plate when I was done with these. I can't even explain how melt in your mouth yummy these are. And look! They're even relatively healthy. :) Btw... this came from Real Simple... one my favorite magazines.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 sweet potato, grated
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed, halved
  • 1/2 cup grated Cheddar

  • Heat your oven to 400°, and your oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
    Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the garlic and let it get fragrant.


    No, this isn't cheese... it's sweet potato!! Grated on a cheese grater.

     
    Add the sweet potato and spinach to your skillet. Stir to combine, letting the spinach wilt.

     
    Dividing evenly, spoon the beef mixture onto one side of each piece of puff pastry, leaving a ¼-inch border.
     
     
    Top with the cheese, fold the dough over the filling, and press firmly to seal.
    Transfer the turnovers to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
     
     
    Golden delicious. And I'm not talking apples.

     
    This was filling by itself, but would be great with a side spinach salad. Maybe with a bit of pear, feta and honey balsamic. So many flavors, so little time! 

     
     
    *Note - this recipe says it makes 4 servings... I made it into 2. 1/2 of one of these was definitely not enough for me. I also had a LOT of leftover filling.
    *Note - Since the beef and spinach are hot when you are trying to close the turnovers, don't be surprised if your puff pastry starts to fall apart. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Mine had small holes here and there but everything seemed to stay in tact and my cheese did not froth out. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment