Saturday, August 31, 2013

Healthified Vanilla Caramel Popcorn

I'm always trying to find sweet treats that won't completely blow my points. So... when I saw a version of this I was like YES!!! DO IT!!! MAKE IT NOW!!!

So I did.

And I'm not sorry. Nope. Not one little bit.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup low fat/calorie butter (I used ICBINB)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 12 cups air popped popcorn
Pop your popcorn... and set aside. I used kernels, popped them in a soup pot with no oil or butter. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Toss your toppings ingredients into the same pot. Melt until the sugar has just dissolved*. 



Toss your popcorn into the pot and coat as well as you can. Lay everything out on a baking sheet covered in foil**.


Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once, and there you go! Sweet, unsalted treat that's not absolutely horrible for you.
 
                      
Notes:
*Since there isn't a lot of liquid your topping may be a little stickier than you think it should be. Even though there were kernels here and there that had more caramel on them, the actual flavor made it to each and every wonderful piece.
**I'm not sure if this is why the kernels came out so crispy, but, I covered the popcorn in another sheet of foil. I was worried there would be unpopped kernels, that they would pop in the oven and start a fire. I love cooking with gas... but I love not starting fires more.

No comments:

Post a Comment